Keah Brown is a journalist, freelance writer, and the creator of the #DisabledAndCute hashtag.
Her work has appeared in Teen Vogue, Essence.com, Catapult, Glamour Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, and Lenny Letter among other publications. Her debut essay collection THE PRETTY ONE is forthcoming from Atria Books.
In this episode, Keah talks about her forthcoming book, and what it took to complete the first draft. She shares the importance of making time to celebrate, the struggles of saying "no", the importance of financial compensation for creative work, and tons more.
We talk about the power of reclamation, and how Keah is reclaiming her body and all aspects of her identity. She shares the practical side of learning how to like yourself, what she wishes parents taught their children about disabilities, and how it feels to love and accept her unruly body.
I absolutely adore Keah, and having her back on the show was such a blast. I hope you love listening in!
Connect with Keah
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Alex Slater
- Unruly Bodies series
- Killing Eve
- Roxane Gay
- Sophia Bush
- Dear Mr Henshaw, by Beverly Cleary
- The Wedding Date, by Jasmine Guillory
- Sick, by Porochista Khakpour
- All You Can Ever Know, by Nicole Chung
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Our fun, casual monthly book club
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!