Virgie Tovar is an author, activist and one of the nation's leading experts and lecturers on fat discrimination and body image.
She is the founder of Babecamp, a 4-week online course designed to help women who are ready to break up with diet culture, and she started the hashtag campaign #LoseHateNotWeight.
She writes a weekly column called "Take the Cake" on Ravishly.com, and The Feminist Press will be publishing her forthcoming book of non-fiction, You Have the Right to Remain Fat, which comes out this month.
In this episode, Virgie talks about diet culture and fatphobia - what they are, how they function, and why we need to break free from that oppression. She shares honest personal stories about mourning the thin fantasy, the importance of desire and letting yourself want what you want, the ways in which fat women are often treated differently than thin women in romantic and sexual relationships, and so much more.
I read Virgie's new book in one sitting, and it was such a delight to have her back on the show. I hope you'll buy the book for yourself, and that you enjoy hearing and learning from Virgie as much as I did!
Connect with Virgie
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Cesar Cummings
- Another Country, by James Baldwin
- Carceral Capitalism, by Jackie Wong
- Miss Piggy's Guide to Life, by Henry Beard
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Our fun, casual monthly book club
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!