Aja Barber is a writer, stylist and consultant based in London. Her work centers around fashion and all its intersections (feminism, race, colonialism, sustainability and ethics).
In this episode, Aja goes into detail about why fashion is best when it's sustainable and inclusive. What does it mean to be sustainable? What does it mean to be inclusive? What is slow fashion? What is ethical fashion? Aja breaks it all down for us, sharing how and why she ditched fast fashion herself and providing tons of tips and resources for us to do the same.
As you might know if you follow me on Instagram I am deep in the process of re-thinking my own style and building a sustainable capsule wardrobe from scratch. Being a paying member of Aja's Patreon community has helped enormously—seriously, I learn something from her almost every single day—and this conversation with her felt like the ultimate gift. I hope you enjoy it just as much as I did!
Listen to this Episode
Connect with Aja
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Why We Buy: The Science of Shopping, by Paco Underhill
- Elizabeth Suzann
- The RealReal
- Thought Clothing
- Be The Change: A Toolkit for the Activist in You, by Gina Martin
- Little Kotos Closet
- Omi Na-Na
- Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living, by Linnea Dunne
- Lucy, by Jamaica Kincaid
- Best Behavior
- Rachel Cargle
- Layla F. Saad
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $1+ per episode!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus lots of other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
For all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!