Farai Harreld is a writer, mother, co-founder of Black Minimalists and host of their community podcast, where fellow black minimalists can come together to share how they live a little more mindfully each day.
On her blog, thehillbillyafrican.com, Farai documents her adventures in minimalism, eco-friendliness, motherhood, and all-around black girl magic.
In this episode, Farai shares stories from her childhood - born in Zimbabwe and raised in Botswana - and the culture shock of moving to the US when she was 18 years old. We talk about her minimalist lifestyle, how she first found minimalism, and how she tries to detach from the hustle and bustle that she feels comes hand-in-hand with living in the west.
We talk about money, debt, and shame, as well as a few of the more problematic elements of the mainstream minimalist movement. She gives me the secrets for her homemade lotion, talks thoughtfully about her conscious parenting choices, and shares her routine for using cloth diapers.
This is a wonderfully honest conversation, and I'm so grateful that Farai took the time to share stories from her life with us. I hope you enjoy it!
Listen to this Episode
Connect with Farai
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, by Marie Kondo
- Minimalism: A Documentary About Important Things
- Hey Fran Hey
- LUSH shampoo bars
- The Conscious Parent, by Dr. Shefali Tsabary
- Harry Potter, by JK Rowling
- Long Walk To Freedom, by Nelson Mandela
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8+ per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content and other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Our fun, casual monthly book club
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!