Our guest today is Tom Grossmith—known to me, and to many of you, by his trail name, Gent. Gent and I met while hiking the PCT last year, and wound up covering over 1,300 miles together. We hiked together, we quit the trail together, and next week we’ll be heading back to the PCT together, joined by two other friends, to hike the 700-mile desert section from Mexico to Kennedy Meadows.
Off trail, Gent is a woodworker, as well as 5th generation on his family’s small hobby farm in Massachusetts. For the past four years he’s worked as a Zamboni mechanic at an ice skating rink, and his super hands-on career history has included landscaping, carpentry and construction, general handyman projects, and more.
In this episode, Gent and I talk a little bit about our PCT hike last year, and then we dive into all the great listener questions we received about long-distance hiking. We talk about sleep, money, hygiene, mental health, gear, food, training, our trail family, tips for beginners, what we're doing differently on our upcoming hike, and more.
If you're interested in the details of long-distance hiking, I bet you'll love this episode!
Connect with Gent
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Nicole's post-AZT episode
- Trail family Instagram accounts: Gent // Shivers // Muffy
- The Leave No Trace Seven Principles
- Nicole's episode of She Explores
- Gent's favorite gear: LightHeart SoLong 6 tent and long handle spoon
- Nicole's favorite gear: NeoAir Women’s Regular and Oiselle Roga Shorts
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus lots of other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace, where I share my real life in real time
- Monthly topic-specific discussions (money, sex, self-care, family, courage, & more!)
- Our monthly book club
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
For all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!