Laura McKowen is a writer, yoga teacher, speaker and recovery advocate. She writes an internationally recognized, award-winning blog at LauraMcKowen.com and is the co-host of HOME podcast, a show that takes up the big questions of life through the lens of addiction recovery.
Laura earned her MBA from Babson College and worked in advertising and marketing for fifteen years, where she led international teams and managed what she calls "stupidly large marketing budgets" for Fortune 50 companies. In 2016, she made the leap to entrepreneurship and now writes, teaches yoga-based workshops and retreats all over the U.S., and consults on marketing, personal branding, and online business strategy.
Laura lives with her daughter on the north shore of Boston and is currently writing her first book, a memoir.
In this episode, Laura shares one beautifully honest story after another, covering everything from sobriety to motherhood to work and writing and more.
She talks about how difficult it was for her to get sober, and we dig into the damaging cultural depictions of drinking that keep many of us stuck. We also talk more generally about the many challenges of trying to change your life and the frustration when change winds up taking much longer than you hoped.
Laura tells us her thoughts on the purpose of pain, the healing power of writing, and how to tell the actual truth about your life.
This conversation was an absolute joy for me, and Laura's openness makes it truly one of my very favorite episodes to date. I hope you love it as well!
Connect with Laura
Website // Podcast // Facebook // Instagram
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Elizabeth Gilbert
- Cheryl Strayed
- She Recovers NYC
- Stephen Covey
- The Tipping Point
- This Is How, by Augusten Burroughs
- 11 Books That Changed My Life
- Am I An Alcoholic?
- Holly Whitaker (season 6 guest)
- Nayyirah Waheed
- The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss
- When Things Fall Apart, by Pema Chodron
- The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibran
- The Great Work of Your Life, by Stephen Cope
Help Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8+ per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 30 hours of bonus content, with new stuff added every month.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- Fun conversations and interviews that aren’t aired publicly
- Solo end-of-month reflection episodes from Nicole (what worked, what didn’t, personal goals, etc)
- Access to (and a chance to be a guest on!) the SquadPod – a private, shorter version of Real Talk Radio where you, the members of this family, are the guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- All seven workbooks & tiny books from my former $4 Shop
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!
Join the Conversation