Nikita T. Mitchell speaks and writes about why CEOs need to think beyond the bottom line. She is the creator of Above the Bottom Line, a newsletter dedicated to keeping you informed of how the world’s most influential companies are taking a stance on social and environmental issues.
Cited as Diversity MBA Magazine’s Top 100 Under 50 Executive & Emerging Leaders, Nikita is an infinitely curious business strategist and keynote speaker who received her M.B.A. from U.C. Berkeley's Haas School of Business, where she was Berkeley-Haas MBA Association’s first Black female president.
A fierce advocate for women’s rights, Nikita serves on the Watermark Board of Directors. She is currently a senior manager at Cisco where she is responsible for strategy and planning initiatives for the company’s $20 billion Americas Sales organization.
In this episode, Nikita shares stories from business school and from being a woman in the corporate workplace. We talk about the role of money in both art and activism, and about the fact that women often struggle with the ability to openly ask for the money they need to do the work they're doing.
Nikita shares the why and how of her brilliant newsletter, Above the Bottom Line, and we talk about social impact, corporate responsibility, the efficacy of consumer boycotts, and how the solutions to the issues we care about are often nuanced and complex.
On the personal side, Nikita talks about her relationship with her partner, Heather, and shares why having a healthy relationship is a lot harder than having an unhealthy one. We discuss the benefits of therapy, and she shares what she and Heather have done to improve their communication skills within their relationship. Don't you love when people are honest about stuff like that?
This entire conversation is filled with that kind of honesty and sharing from Nikita, so I hope you love learning from her as much as I did!
Connect with Nikita
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Upstream podcast
- Big Magic, by Elizabeth Gilbert
- Newsletters I Can't Live Without
- Austin Kleon
- Ann Friedman
- Lean In, by Sheryl Sandberg
- Black Girl in Paris, by Shay Youngblood
- How Will You Measure Your Life?, by Clayton M. Christensen
Help Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8+ per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 30 hours of bonus content, with new stuff added every month.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- Fun conversations and interviews that aren’t aired publicly
- Solo end-of-month reflection episodes from Nicole (what worked, what didn’t, personal goals, etc)
- Access to (and a chance to be a guest on!) the SquadPod – a private, shorter version of Real Talk Radio where you, the members of this family, are the guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- All seven workbooks & tiny books from my former $4 Shop
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!