Rachel Elizabeth Cargle is an Ohio born writer and lecturer. Her activist and academic work are rooted in providing intellectual discourse, tools, and resources that explore the intersection of race and womanhood.
With a thriving social media community of over 115,000 people, Rachel guides conversation, encourages critical thinking, and nurtures meaningful engagement with folks all over the world.
Her public lecture, Unpacking White Feminism, explores the history of feminism through the lens of race - revealing the problematic effects that white centered activism has had on the past and present of the feminist movement, and sharing action items you can take to be more intentional and inclusive in your feminism.
You can find more of Rachel's writing in her monthly column on HarpersBazaar.com, and her work has also been featured on USA Today, Teen Vogue, PopSugar, Afropunk, Essence, HuffingtonPost, and Refinery29.
In this episode, Rachel talks about White Feminism - what it is, why it's problematic, and what we can do to make our feminism truly intersectional.
That's one of the things I love most about Rachel's work, the fact that it's focused on taking action and doing the work of being anti-racist, and in this conversation she shares some necessary action steps, as well as recommendations for other leaders whose work we should be following and learning from.
Rachel's work has been incredibly impactful for me personally over the past year, and I feel so grateful to have had this conversation with her. I hope you get as much out of it as I did!
Connect with Rachel
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Holly Whitaker
- Dr Kimberle Crenshaw
- 5 Ways White Feminists Can Address Our Own Racism, by Sarah Milstein
- Brittney Cooper
- Beyond Respectability, by Brittney Cooper
- Brittany Packnett
- Between the World and Me, by Ta-Nehisi Coates
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace, where I share my real life in real time
- Monthly topic-specific discussions (money, sex, self-care, family, courage, & more!)
- Our monthly book club
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for Real Talk: Live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!