Rahawa Haile is an Eritrean-American writer.
In 2016 she thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail, and her writing about that journey has been published in places such as Outside Online and Buzzfeed. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram at @RahawaHaile.
In this episode, Rahawa and I talk about writing and hiking. She shares her writing process, why she loves short stories and where you can find them, as well as what she's currently working on. She talks all about her thru-hike of the AT, what she hoped to get out of it, what it was like hiking as a queer black woman, and who you should be following on social media if you care about diversifying the outdoors.
I had the incredibly good fortune to meet Rahawa earlier this year, when we both attended the same weekend-long writing retreat with a small group of badass, creative, outdoorsy women, and it was such a treat to get to talk with her more deeply. I hope you enjoy our conversation!
Connect with Rahawa
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Sharp, by Michelle Dean
- Electric Literature
- Going It Alone, by Rahawa Haile
- Libya's Slave Trade Didn't Appear Out of Thin Air, by Rahawa Haile
- Blackalachian on YouTube
- Porochista Khakpour
- Carrot Quinn
- Jenny Bruso
- Danielle Williams
- Elsye Chardonnay Walker
- The Adventure Gap, by James Edward Mills
- The Sun is Also a Star, by Nicola Yoon
- Parable of the Sower, by Octavia Butler
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8+ per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content and other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with former guests
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming outro
- Our fun, casual monthly book club
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
- Exclusive access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace
- 24/7 access to the community feed for conversation with me and everyone else …. and more!
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!