Sonalee Rashatwar (she/they), MSW, LCSW, MEd is an award-winning social worker based in Philadelphia.
She is a fat queer nonbinary bemme therapist, specializing in treating sexual trauma, body image issues, racial or immigrant identity issues, and South Asian family systems, while offering fat positive sexual healthcare.
Popularly known as The Fat Sex Therapist on Instagram, their fame hit an all time high when they were featured on Breitbart in March 2018 for naming thinness as a white supremacist beauty ideal.
A sought-after speaker, Sonalee travels internationally to curate custom visual workshops that whisper to our changemaking spirit and nourish our vision for a more just future.
In this episode, Sonalee shares deeply honest stories about their journey to being anti-diet, talking openly about the experience of body shame and nonconsensual dieting in childhood and of the resulting fat trauma that persists into their adult life.
We talk about Sonalee's graduate school experience, why she almost quit multiple times, and what ultimately helped her to continue on.
This conversation goes in so many important directions, with Sonalee sharing about shadeism and fatphobia, how to advocate for ourselves at the doctor's office, the politics of desirability, the value in taking penetrative sex off the cultural pedestal we've put it on, and so much more.
I learn from Sonalee on Instagram every day, and I'm so grateful for all that they shared in this conversation. I hope you enjoy it just as much!
Connect with Sonalee
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- The Fat Lip podcast (the fat spectrum)
- Food Psych podcast
- Viral obituary
- You Have The Right To Remain Fat, by Virgie Tovar
- Body of Truth, by Harriet Brown
- The Financial Diet, by Chelsea Fagan & Lauren Ver Hage
- Bad With Money, by Gaby Dunn
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus lots of other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace, where I share my real life in real time
- Monthly topic-specific discussions (money, sex, self-care, family, courage, & more!)
- Our monthly book club
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
For all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!