Vanessa Friedman is a queer fat femme Jewitch writer, editor, and photographer currently based in New York.
She’s the community editor at Autostraddle and an MFA creative non-fiction candidate at Sarah Lawrence College, and she writes about queer friendship, home, nature, desire, and the body. Her words have been published at Autostraddle, Nylon, Shape, and elsewhere. She also writes a biweekly newsletter called I Miss You, which you can subscribe to over in the show notes.
In this episode Vanessa and I have a deep conversation about adult friendship—maintaining existing ones, developing new ones, breaking up with friends, going deeper with friends, investing in friendships as much or more than other types of relationships, etc.
I'm fascinated by the beautiful, fraught, and nuanced topic of friendship, and when I started thinking about who to invite for this conversation Vanessa was the first person that came to mind, since friendship is such a bright, genuine part of her life, and it's something she invests in more deeply, intentionally, and impactfully than pretty much anyone I know.
If you've been wanting deeper friendships, if you're in a place of re-evaluating your friendships, if you'd love to make new friends or accept a changing or fading friendship, I bet you'll love this episode (and Vanessa's honest story telling!) as much as I do.
Connect with Vanessa
Website // Newsletter // Instagram // Twitter
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Gabi Fresh lingerie
- Friendships Are Work, and It’s Worth It: Loving Your Friends Like You Love Your Dates, by Vanessa Friedman
- For Lovers and Fighters, by Dean Spade
- Red Sauce Pizza in Portland, OR
- Valencia, by Michelle Tea
- NYX Sway Lipstick
- Tiny Beautiful Things, by Cheryl Strayed
- Her Body and Other Parties, by Carmen Maria Machado
- The Chronology of Water, by Lidia Yuknavitch
- The Fact of a Body, by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $1+ per episode!) and get lots of fun bonus content.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
For all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!
Join the Conversation