Virginia Knight is a fashion historian who believes that old clothes can help us explore a better relationship with our bodies.
A writer and vintage clothing seller based in Asheville, North Carolina, she is deeply invested in interrogating the relationship between fashion and the body, and she offers personal styling services to fashion-minded women who have fallen out of love with dressing themselves.
In this episode, Virginia shares her own honest story of how her love of fashion, combined with her diagnosis of an eating disorder and Body Dysmorphic Disorder helped her to realize the ways in which vintage clothing can allow us to explore a better relationship with our bodies and with the struggles many of us face in getting dressed each morning.
Virginia talks about the problem of focusing only on clothes that are "flattering", and about the body shaming that can often exist in the personal styling industry. She shares the specific tools that help her when she's having a not-so-great body image day herself, and we dig into a few ways that folks can start in crafting their own personal style.
This conversation went in so many good, helpful directions, and at the end of it I was left feeling a new sense of joy for the future of my clothing and my body. I hope you enjoy hearing from Virginia as much as I did!
Connect with Virginia
Website // Twitter // Instagram
Selected Links From This Episode
Books, Resources & People Mentioned
- Elizabeth Suzann
- Ericka Hart
- The Amazing Adventure of Kavalier and Clay, by Michael Chabon
Support the podcast (+ get exclusive bonus content!)
Join the Real Talk Radio support squad over on Patreon (just $8 per 8-episode season!) and get immediate access to over 40 hours of bonus content plus other fun things.
- Bonus episodes with past guests
- Access to my popular weekly email series, Notes of Grit & Grace, where I share my real life in real time
- Monthly topic-specific discussions (money, sex, self-care, family, courage, & more!)
- Our monthly book club
- Advance pre-sale access to tickets for Real Talk: Live events and retreats
- The chance to be featured in an upcoming podcast outro
- Frequent opportunities to help shape the future of the show
So for all of that and more, simply head over to patreon.com/nicoleantoinette to make your pledge.
Thank you so much for your support!!
Join the Conversation